Saturday, November 26, 2005

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness

Five years ago Virginia and Mack Metcalf won the $65.4 million Powerball lottery. The couple was in the midst of a split when they won, but they worked the money issue out. Now, though, they are both dead. Mack had multiple run-ins with the law including a child support dispute and a drunk driving charge before he died in 2003 at the age of 45.

Then today, Virginia was found dead in her house by her son. She had apparently been there for days. Over the last five years she had also had her share of legal problems. A dispute with a tenant of her rental property and a mysterious death in her own home, which is still under investigation. An autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of death.

I read this article and it just made me think about how I had wished we had more money just this morning. We aren't poor, but money is tight right now and with Christmas coming I wish we had more to spend on the kids. Not to mention I would have loved to have sent much bigger care packages to my soldiers. But you know, we have a lot of love in our house and I would rather scrimp and save and have belt tightening times than to live what apparently was a reclusive and sad life that ended far sooner than it should. It just brought the "Money doesn't by happiness" philosophy into perspective.

AP

No comments: