Friday, November 04, 2005

I'm a Pear

Are you a pear or an apple? The risk indicator for heart attack and stroke is no longer the Body/Mass Indicator. It is the Waist-to-Hip Ratio. Although neither shape sounds too complimentary, I'm certainly glad that I am not an apple since I have way too many hereditary risk factors as it is!
'Research shows that people with "apple-shaped" bodies (with more weight around the waist) face more health risks than those with "pear-shaped" bodies who carry more weight around the hips.'
To find out your ratio, go to UMMS for a calculator. For men a 1.0 and under is ideal and for women a 0.8 and under is ideal. If your ratio is over, then you are an apple and you are at a higher risk for heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol. That does not mean that "pears" aren't at risk too, but it is a reduced risk.

I'm glad that my ratio is "pearish" since both heart disease and diabetes are in my family background. I realize this isn't going to keep me from getting heart disease, but it sure helps to reduce my risk! Every little bit helps!

The luscious looking fruit can be found at Harry & David. Yum! Just don't look at the chocolate truffles!
_______________________________________________________
(After reading this again, two songs popped into my head...Fat Bottom Girls and I Like Big Butts! Who would have thought it would be a good thing?)

No comments: