Thursday, September 29, 2005

Patriotism

Not too long ago, my oldest daughter had a band show. For those who have never been involved in high school marching band, this is a show that is hosted by one high school and has multiple other schools performing their marching band rountines. Well, this particular one is at a high school with a beautiful stadium and it is quite a privilege to be asked to participate. This is our high school's third year to be invited.

One thing that I love about these shows is the enthusiasm of the kids, whistling and cheering and giving each other standing ovations. This isn't a competition, it is a chance for the schools to show off what they are doing this year in marching band and also to get new ideas from each other for next year's routine. The kids just have a great time and it shows in their performances.

Another thing that I love is that there is almost always a patriotic piece from each of the schools. Our high school performed the Ray Charles version of America the Beautiful. Even now, just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes. Another school performed God Bless America and another school suprised us all.

This wonderful school brought in a military color guard who stood at attention on the edge of the field as the director of this band presented a folded flag to the director of the host school's band. That would have been nice enough, but this particular flag was actually flown in Iraq and brought back especially for this presentation. There were two soldiers flying two flags in their camp. One was an alumni of the host school and the other was an alumni from the presenting school. When they found out when the band show was to be performed, they sent the flags home with a doctor whose tour of duty was up.

I cannot express the swelling of pride everyone in that stadium felt. The director then asked anyone who served in the military or has a loved one in the military to stand, while the rest of us applauded like mad. The band then brought out a giant flag, unfurled it, and performed Lee Greenwood's

God Bless the U.S.A.

If tomorrow all the things were gone I’d worked for all my life,
And I had to start again with just my children and my wife.
I’d thank my lucky stars to be living here today,
‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom and they can’t take that away.


And I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A.


From the lakes of Minnesota, to the hills of Tennessee,
across the plains of Texas, from sea to shining sea,
From Detroit down to Houston and New York to LA,
Well, there’s pride in every American heart,and it’s time to stand and say:


I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A.


Copyright1984 by MUSIC CORPORATION OF AMERICA, INC. & SONGS OF POLYGRAM INTERNATIONAL, INC.All Rights Controlled and Administered by MUSIC CORPORATION OF AMERICA, INC.International Copyright Secured All Rights Reserved


This band show gave me hope. Hope that patriotism isn't going by the wayside. Hope that patriotism is alive and well in our children. And it also gave me a great feeling to know that in "small town America" it is still okay to say the pledge, to sing the National Anthem, and that we still take off our hats and put hands on our hearts when we do these things.

No comments: