Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Sentimentally Patriotic (Warning: writer veers into sappiness at times!)

Fuzzybear Lioness had a sentimental moment on Sunday and had a post with the lyrics from Have You Forgotten? and that just got me going. Went on Rhapsody and pulled out all these great patriotic country songs. I came across an album called, appropriately enough Patriotic Country and it has some of the best songs on it. It's one that, if you are a country music fan (and maybe even if you aren't), will give you that heart-swelling patriotic pride. Songs like God Bless the USA, Where the Stars and Stripes and the Eagles Fly, America Will Always Stand, American Child, and one that put tears in my eyes, One Last Time. The last one isn't your typical patriotic song, but it is certainly about a hero.
Dusty Drake - One Last Time Lyrics

When she picked up the telephone
His voice came on the line
She said this can't be happening
And tears fell from her eyes
She said 'What am I supposed to do
I can't handle losing you?'
He said 'I just had to call and say goodbye
One last time'
He said 'There are some things in this life
That are out of our control
Like who we fall in love with
And when it's time to go'

She said 'What about the plans we had'
He said 'This connection's gettin' bad
Now, c'mon baby let me hear you smilev One last time'

She started to apologize for
All the things that she'd done wrong
She said 'I would've loved you better
If only I'd known'

He said 'You were the perfect wife
Promise me you'll go on with your life'
She says 'The boys won't understand'
He says 'Tell them Daddy loves them and Be strong'

He said 'Hon, I've gotta go'
She said 'Don't you dare hang up
There's so many things I need to say
"I love you so much"

It was almost like she felt him leave
She cried out 'Can you still hear me'
She fell down on the kitchen floor
When the signal died
As the pilot tried to pull out of the dive
One Last ....


There are so many great patriotic songs that have come from the country music world.
Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning? Alan Jackson
God Bless the Mother Charlie Daniels Band
Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue Toby Keith
Arlington Trace Adkins
Some Gave All Billy Ray Cyrus
American Soldier Toby Keith
Somebody's Someone Lonestar
Well, you get the idea. I've been wallowing in country sentimentality and I just thought I would share. I think the other reason I got to listening to patriotic songs was because of Major K and one of his posts about how the Cindy Sheehan's and Jane Fonda's are hurting our military men and women. They are on a mission that they are proud to do, though, and we really need to support them. This post kicked me in the butt to "adopt" a soldier, too. I'd been thinking about it for a while, but hadn't done it.
...When a Soldier is asked what he thinks of these protestors by a reporter, he will usually say something to the effect of, "I'm glad they have the freedom to do that in the USA. Most of the places we go, they kill people for things like that." What the Soldiers don't say, but overwhelmingly think is: "I wish they would quit working against us and abusing their freedom." I don't speak for all fighting men anymore than Cindy speaks for all of our parents. But I can tell you that I have spoken to more than she has, and very few of us here like her, and we wish she would honor her son, Casey's noble sacrifice. He truly was a hero.

While many of us have questioned the wisdom of coming here at one time or another before our arrival, I can say that most everyone that I have spoken to and commiserated with has become a believer in the mission since arriving here inspite of the cost. How we execute the mission can often be the subject of much debate and discontent, but seeing the kids run to our HMMWV's, or cleaning up after a VBIED that has killed numerous innocents has a tendency to make one believe in the mission. This is what I think of when I have the urge to gripe - the mission. Through all the tactical errors, diplomatic mistakes, corruption in the interim government, and fallen brothers, the mission remains constant. It is the among the most sacred things we have here...

'Nuff said.

No comments: