Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Amazed!

I have contacted my senators on several occasions and never received an answer. I thought I would try again one more time and not only did I get an answer, I got it in the same day! This is what one of my senators has to say about immigration:
May 23, 2006

Dear Anna:

Thank you for contacting me regarding illegal immigration. I agree that illegal immigration is a very serious problem and appreciate knowing your views.

Currently, there are approximately 11 million undocumented immigrants in the United States, with close to 1 million more arriving every year. Yet, our current immigration system is broken. It is a system that is not good for American security, particularly during our fight to combat international terrorism. It is not good for American workers and businesses. And, it is not good for the immigrants, themselves.

To tackle this problem, we must have a comprehensive immigration plan that toughens our borders, documents illegal immigrants, and provides for American labor needs. On March 28, 2006, the Senate Judiciary Committee, of which I am a member, passed immigration legislation out of Committee. The legislation is the first step toward comprehensive immigration reform. I voted in favor of the bill, which would secure our southern border by providing for an additional 12,000 border patrol agents, increased use of technology, and a fence along portions of the border. The bill also includes a guest worker program limited to approximately 400,000 people per year and a way to document and provide legal status for immigrants already here. Currently, the Senate is working on reaching an agreement on immigration reform legislation.

Again, thank you for contacting me. If you have any additional concerns, please feel free to contact me anytime.

Very respectfully yours,
MIKE DeWINE
United States Senator
Though I'm not sure his answer makes me feel completely reassured, but at least the legislation he's supporting would put an additional 12,000 guards on the border and it would only allow 8 million "guest workers" in over the next 20 years. That is much better than s.2611 which would allow 103 million of them into the US within the next 20 years and cause the downfall of our economy!

No comments: