Sunday, March 19, 2006

Blue Star Blogs

I do not have a loved one in the service, though I have two adopted soldiers still deployed and one who is coming home very soon! My deepest respect and admiration goes out to the families whose loved ones are fighting this battle for freedom. My deepest gratitude goes out to those serving and my most sincere prayers go out to those whose loved ones have paid the ultimate price. It is with this in mind that I have decided to join the Blue Star Blogroll.

For those who are unaware of the significance of the Blue Star, here is a brief history:
"The Blue Star Service Banner was designed and patented in 1917 by World War I Army Capt. Robert L. Queissner of the 5th Ohio Infantry who had two sons serving on the front line. It quickly became the unofficial symbol of a child in the service.

On Sept. 24, 1917, an Ohio congressman read the following into the Congressional Record: “…The mayor of Cleveland, the Chamber of Commerce and the governor of Ohio have adopted this service flag. The world should know of those who give so much for liberty. The dearest thing in all the world to a father and mother - their children.”
As my regular readers know, I often write about our armed forces and how much their service means to me, I felt that having this blogroll on my blog would bring more recognition to our military heros. It's a bit of pride that the Blue Star came into existence here in my home state.

A tremendous thanks to Beth at Blue Star Chronicles for all her work putting this together and for her inspiration.

tags: heros, military, Blue Star families

No comments: