Sunday, August 24, 2008

5th Annual OROC 5K Walk/Run

It was a perfect day. The sun was shining, there was a wonderful cool breeze coming off the lake and everyone was ready to go! There were over 2,400 participants and over 80 survivors along with their families, friends and caregivers. There was an 81-year-old survivor and a 13-year-old survivor, showing that ovarian cancer affects all women. There was even a 70-year-old survivor who ran in the 5K!

It wasn't just the walk/run, there was music and face painting, giveaways and raffles, dancing and playing and generally just having a good time. The theme: "OROC celebrates life...a journey of HOPE". You could tell who the survivors were...they were the ones dancing, laughing and enjoying the day even more than anyone else.This is my daughter and her friend who just happens to be Miss Ohio Teen, having fun dancing after the walk/run.

There was a tribute banner that was held at the finish line where those who are survivors and those who have lost mothers, sisters, aunts, friends could leave a message for those they love. I definitely teared up as I wrote a note to my mom and mother-in-law, but I was OK. It was a hopeful day, even when I saw the oncology nurse who had taken care of not only my mom, but my mother-in-law as well. There were definitely tears then.

I can only hope that from events like these, an early detection test and better treatments can be found so that my daughters will have a better chance of avoiding this silent killer.

No comments: