Sunday, March 25, 2007

O.R.O.C.=OutRun Ovarian Cancer

Many of you know that I have opened an Etsy shop to sell my jewelry, but I wanted to let you know that I am selling very special bracelets to raise money for ovarian cancer research through O.R.O.C. This organization was founded by women in Cleveland who have been touched by this horrendous disease.
What is OROC?
Outrun Ovarian Cancer, or "OROC," is a not-for-profit, volunteer-driven, 501 (c)(3) organization.

OROC is dedicated to creating an active community of hope and empowerment for those touched by ovarian cancer through awareness, education and early detection.

Since its inception in October of 2003, OROC has spearheaded numerous ovarian cancer awareness events throughout Greater Cleveland and, in November of 2004, expanded into Chicago. OROC has also garnered the support of physicians and researchers representing major medical institutions in both cities.

Proceeds raised by OROC go toward ovarian cancer awareness programs and research, with a special emphasis on early detection.

OROC's Mission Statement

OROC is dedicated to creating an active community of hope and empowerment for those touched by ovarian cancer through awareness, education and early detection.
Most women diagnosed with ovarian cancer learn they have the disease too late and often only have a 25% survival rate. It is called the "silent cancer" because it's symptoms are so vague and a correct diagnosis is often not made until the disease has progressed too far. I lost my mom to ovarian cancer in July of 2003 and my mother-in-law in January this year and I don't want to lose my girls to this disease too, as they are finding that ovarian cancer, like breast cancer, has a high probability of being hereditary. So, I am doing what I can to help in the fight against ovarian cancer by raising money through the sale of these bracelets. Until there is awareness, education and especially an early detection test, this disease will continue to take our mothers, our sisters, our friends...

4 comments:

The Lone Beader® said...

Anna, this is a wonderful cause. My grandmother died of ovarian cancer in 1984 when they didn't know much about it. She was only 52.... I love your bracelets; Alter Ego is my favourite one, but I think it's a little big for me. (Most of the bracelets I wear are about 7") Your amulet bags are beautiful, too. Good luck with your shop=:)

Anna said...

Thank you so much, LB! That really means a lot to me!

Anonymous said...

I'm an etsy shopper,my blog is:


http://etsyshoper.blogspot.com

Anna said...

I know who you are "etsyshoper".